When we think of toxic environments, our own homes are hardly ever what comes to mind. However, if we aren’t careful, our home environments can become incredibly toxic for our mental and physical health. There are various telltale signs to watch out for, which can help you spot whether your home has become too toxic to live in, let alone survive.
However, with time several pollutants can make our homes incredibly unhealthy. These risks can be even more aggravated if you have kids in the house or anyone with a unique health condition. To fix the problem, you first need to get to the root of it. Hiring professional home cleaners in Los Angeles will help address the pestering home pollutants. But resorting to home cleaning does not automatically eliminate them. Understanding the warning signs first is vital to begin devising a solution. If you’re interested in doing both, keep reading below. We’ll discuss the warning signs of a toxic home environment and how you can fix it.
Let’s have a look:
Unexplained respiratory issues
One of the biggest warning signs of a toxic home environment can be unexplained respiratory issues. These may affect everyone in the house or a few individuals. If consistent checkups provide no plausible explanation for the distress, the problem may lie in your home environment. Too much-accumulated dust, mold, or other allergens may cause respiratory issues to flare up.
However, sometimes the issue can be much more serious than mere dust. If you’ve lived in an old house, your respiratory issues can be attributed to asbestos exposure. Asbestos is used in pipes, insulation, and other construction-related material, and its exposure is the only cause of mesothelioma. Mesothelioma is fatal cancer that primarily affects our lung and stomach lining.
If you suspect asbestos exposure, getting in touch with a law firm is your best choice. One of the best options is Simmons Law Firm, where the lawyers can establish causation and help you get compensation. This compensation can help you cover the hefty hospital bills and acquire the means necessary to handle the disease.
Your house has a lot of humidity
Too much humidity can easily become one of the leading causes of a toxic home environment and can harm you immensely. An overly-humid environment can be a breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria and germs. If you let this humid, unclean environment thrive for too long, it can become almost impossible to clean up your home.
If the humidity in your area is over 60%, your home may be susceptible to mold infestation. You can spot the warning signs most commonly in your kitchens and bathrooms. Counters or the small areas between tiles can show signs of mold infestation. If you leave it unattended, you’ll start seeing the mold spread on the walls. And it can easily grow on your clothes and furniture too. A mold infestation can lead to various illnesses such as sinusitis, asthma, headaches, nausea, etc. A proper cleaning, preferably via a professional, can help you clear out spores and keep your house infestation-free.
There are insects everywhere
If you have random bugs all through your house, you may be facing some serious health risks. A bug infestation indicates that you’re living in a toxic, unclean home, necessitating instant intervention to prevent any lasting damage. A bug infestation can include anything, ranging from ants to cockroaches, bed bugs, spiders, and more. If you don’t take proper steps initially, insects can form colonies very fast and may contaminate your clothes, beds, and even your food.
If your insect infestation is still in the preliminary stages, finding out where they’re coming from can help you stop it. Kitchen cabinets, under the sinks, and the drains are some of the most common places where you can find colonies. An insect infestation is more than something gross – insects are often vectors for various dangerous diseases. Ticks, flies, and mosquitos alone can carry diseases such as dengue fever, malaria, Lyme disease, and typhus, to name a few.
You live near a high-traffic area
Urban living means housing areas are more congested than ever before, and while many of us may live in central locations, that can often come with several drawbacks. If you live in a busier part of the city, such as in an apartment near the main road, your home environment can rapidly become toxic. Since apartments are super detached from green spaces, they can easily become mentally and physically suffocating.
If you reside in a high-traffic area, your home will constantly have a lot of fumes such as carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, etc. These gases are extremely dangerous for human health and can cause various cardiovascular and respiratory diseases. Although it’s not possible to change your home’s location, you can take measures to cleanse your home environment. Keeping large, leafy green plants can help purify the air in your home. Moreover, if you want something more heavy-duty, you can also get an air purifier, which can help clear up any impurities and make your environment as healthy as possible.
You have too much stuff piled up
There’s a lot we end up inadvertently collecting over the years, be it pieces of furniture, décor, or other random knick-knacks. While all this clutter may seem harmless, the truth is actually to the contrary. Having too much clutter in your humble abode can make it the perfect breeding ground for all sorts of germs and bacteria. When you have too much clutter, accessing and cleaning every nook and cranny can be hard.
You may have a ton of spots around the house that haven’t been cleaned properly in ages, and these spots can accumulate a lot of dust and bacteria. Instead of keeping around things you don’t need anymore, consider donating to shelters or hosting a yard sale. This way, you can get rid of many items you don’t need while ensuring your belongings don’t go to waste.
If we don’t take the right steps, our homes can rapidly become toxic and harmful to our health. However, this guide can help you identify what you need to watch out for and how you can identify if your home is causing health problems. By looking out for these warning signs, you can create a healthier, happier home for yourself and your family. So, inspect your house and take appropriate actions for any emerging health issue plaguing your house environment.